Pastor’s Year End Report 2015

For me, the word that describes this past year is; “God”. I know, pretty broad eh? But there have been, and there continues to be, some pretty amazing things happening at CBC and I know all the glory and credit goes to Him.

How, “together with all of you who are rooted and grounded in love”, we have come through this past year better able to “comprehend what is the width and length and depth and height-- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that we may be filled with all the fullness of God.”  (Ephesians 3:18-19)

For many this, “ability to comprehend”, has come about through many struggles and tears. We live in a fallen world and no matter how hard we try and fix it by serving the homeless, or bandaging up the wounded, or taking in refugees; it is still a fallen world with millions lost and hurting, even right here in our church family, who need the glorious Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And so, I’m excited, as I see growth in many here in the way they are reaching out with that Gospel. But also, how they are continually reaching up to God from whence our help and our strength comes from and pressing into Christ our Saviour. So I’m excited about God, and what He’s done in 2015, and about what He is going to do in 2016.

I’m excited, and very thankful, for our Sunday School and Children’s Church program, and the teachers who, week after week, bring God and Christ into the classrooms. I find it encouraging that Sunday School is doing so well in a time where many churches have all but abandoned a Sunday School program. I’m excited for the way we, young and old, are learning together, not only in our Sunday School but also in our newly shaped Wednesday evening study and prayer time.

I’m excited, and encouraged to see steady growth in our younger adults, watching them step into leadership roles, not being afraid to make mistakes; and thankful for our “older” leaders not being afraid to let them. We have a very rare thing in our Official Board with 70% of the Board being under the age of 25. Someone on the Board of another church said that 100% of their Board was over 70! Jesus used young people!

I was excited to see 3 people baptized this past summer, again a mix of young and old; from 14-70-ish! And I was excited to see us welcome 4 people into official membership; all having been brought here by God through some pretty amazing and tough circumstances and trials.

Looking ahead to a new year, I’m excited for this to continue with hopefully many more coming and becoming involved. Not simply to be involved for the sake of being involved, but to join in the excitement that I see in those who are involved by being a part of other people’s lives as they serve together and learn together.

I’m excited that we have an opportunity to partner with Lorraine and Kgotso Mashongoane in an exciting new ministry in Lesotho Africa as they leave the umbrella of Teen Missions and the MSSM program. As we partner with MSC (Missionary Service Committee) to provide all the legal and foreign affairs type things, it will be a challenge to learn how to truly be a “sending” church by being more closely involved in their support, ministry direction, and their spiritual well-being.

I’m excited to see how, in the church, the new Boards and Committee members work things out together and how I will have to adapt to having a helping hand doing some of the administrative duties with our hiring of a part-time secretary. Pray for Linda and I as we work out what that looks like. (Sister-in-laws aren’t the easiest to work withJ)

I’m excited as I anticipate putting together a challenging New Year’s series on being a disciple; one who “loves completely, lives courageously, and serves compassionately”. Pondering through the texts that I was given in November has definitely been affecting my view of discipleship, dramatically, and I think this series will affect all of us as a church as we move forward.

So with that, I encourage you to ponder these texts:

“Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.” John 13:1

“Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life?” (Matthew 16:24-26)

Feeling undeservedly blessed by the One who gave His life