Year End 2014



Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?" 36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. - Romans 11:33-36

Well, these verses launched us into 2014 with an intended emphasis on the greatness of God. I think we’ve seen, throughout this year, how great and wise and wonderful and how truly ‘awesome’ our God is, and how small and insignificant we really are in the whole scheme of things; “see what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are!” (1John 3:1)

And some of His children went through a lot over the last year and I am thankful that we were able to go through some of those difficult times together. There were also many joys along the way. But through the good and the tough, I am truly thankful that we can acknowledge God’s goodness and mercy.

My vision for His church here in Murillo is that we would all be growing into maturity in Christ through the faithful preaching and teaching of His Word; that we would all love Him with all of our hearts and love and serve one another with grace and mercy, and that we reach others with the love of Christ through His Gospel .

And I’ve been thinking about my own journey and the illness I’ve been living with for a while and thinking how thankful I am that He’s allowed me to go through, what some might say is a lot, but what I think hasn’t been all that bad, because it has truly given me insight into what many others are going through so that I am able to empathize and serve more effectively.

I guess to lay out my theology really simply; I believe that God is sovereign and He is good, and anything I go through I can know that it is for my good, to draw me closer to Him. And that anything I have in this life is because of Him, but it is temporary; we are exiles just passing through. And I am confident of this; that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it on the Day of Christ Jesus. One day we will be in our heavenly home, living forever with Him; He is my greatest treasure. I can know that, and trust in that, no matter what I go through, because that’s what He tells me in His Word and He cannot lie.

I am truly thankful for God’s goodness in the way He has provided for His church over this past year as we see many of our next generation stepping up into leadership positions. I am thankful for the Official Board that plans and serves the people; for all the others who may not be in “official” positions, but are serving non the less in places and areas that we don’t even often realize; and I am very thankful that we were able to bring a new deacon on board who desires to serve this church family in whatever way he can.

There is so much to be thankful for. I find myself joining the Apostle Paul who was very fond of saying; “thanks be to God”. And I especially join him in saying; “Thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.” (2 Cor 2:14)

May God continue to richly bless us in 2015!