Year End 2013


“He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord.” Psalm 40:3

He really has put a new song in my mouth having come through another very interesting year to say the least; a year that I truly praise God for how great He is and the great work He is doing in my life and in the life of His Church. Unlike 2012, this past year was interesting because I went through it without any real health concerns. But, other than health, God does have a way of keeping things interesting doesn’t He?

I would have to say that this past year, in my ever lengthening time in His service as Pastor of Community Baptist, I’ve learned more than in any other. And it was very interesting the way the learning curve steepened as we saw two very faithful servants, Don and Diana Engen, out of the blue it would seem, move on to minister closer to their children in Sarnia. Or, maybe it was walking along side some who were going through their various trials. Or, maybe it was just God getting me to think more deeply about who He is and who I am? It is most likely a combination of all those things; but I am truly thankful for what He has taught me through it all.

I can honestly say that when Don and Diana left, I felt completely at peace about what God would do in the work here. I trusted that He would have people step up, and step into, any holes that were there; and that’s exactly what happened. He caused some to take on roles they had not even thought of, or never thought they could have, and He brought new people into the Family who were eager to get in and serve. God is still good; all the time!

I am truly thankful for the number of people who are willing to serve in some capacity here in our little Church Family, when you look at the list from Communion Stewards to Sunday School Teachers, from Cleaners to Worship Team Members, from Property to Ushers, and so many more; there’s a lot of people serving in this little church! Many people carrying the load makes for lighter work for all.

I am thankful that Bonnie and I are able to mentor our Youth Leaders, David and Nicole, and see the next generation taking on leadership. That goes also for being there for our Young Adult group that meets each week, desiring to go deeper in their relationship with Christ. We are also privileged to meet with a group of young parents to try and sort out what it means to be Biblical in our parenting; that has been an opportunity to learn that I didn’t get everything right the first time around. But, God is gracious and has given me grandchildren to continue to learn from!

I am also very thankful for the few days I was able to go out to Round Lake Bible Camp in November and tuck myself away from it all to just get alone with God and listen to see if I might discern where He’s taking us. I found that to be very meaningful and productive, and came away feeling that I had been given direction in putting together a vision for the New Year. He’s given me a number of passages for sermons in a series on His greatness. That subject in itself could take us to eternity. But my plan, Lord willing, is to take the first half of the year and focus on His greatness through many of His attributes. It may turn out to be longer than half the year, but that’s going to be up to Him.

I’m also thankful as we begin 2013 that we have Barry back on board once again giving us four Deacons. The Deacon’s Board carries a lot of responsibility and it is great to be able to spread that out a little bit more now with another experienced leader.

There is just so much more I could add but I’d rather you asked me in person; so thank you for allowing me the privilege of serving you; 

In His Grip,
P.A.