Pastor's Year End Report 2017


“Speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.” Ephesians 4:15-16

First, on a personal level: Last year at this time, after a year of what some would consider serious illness, I was wondering what was going to be happening regarding a kidney transplant. I found that my thoughts were; I can leave serious health issues up to God and, as much as possible, continue to press on in His strength, doing whatever I discern to be His will for my life and ministry until the next appointment, illness, or surgery.

So, I pressed on and eventually had that kidney transplant. I now joke that it is not good for man to be alone and so Gerald’s kidney now has a familiar partner working alongside; thank you JoAnne! Of course “thank you” doesn’t even come close to the gratitude me and my family have for what she has done. And so, the words that truly describe it are from John’s Gospel; “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down their life for their friends.” (John 15:13)

And again, as it was with Gerald, God’s hand was, as always, amazingly in things; I broke another hospital record as I was released from hospital in a record four days, not the usual six or seven. And things were going real well until a month after getting home with my body starting to reject the new kidney.

Not a problem; the wonderful Renal Team at Thunder Bay Regional that I continually thank God for, was on it. And, after a couple of months of some pretty intense steroid treatment, pronounced that the rejection was taken care of and my kidney function was back to normal. In fact, it was working so well that I no longer had high blood pressure and was taken off of medication that I’d been on for almost thirty years.

But apparently, the medication was masking an aortic valve regurgitation issue and now we wait to see how, or when, open heart surgery might take place. Someone asked me, after a recent visit to the cardiologist, how I felt about what was going on now with a serious heart issue. I can only respond to that with; “just another appointment that I can leave up to God to sort out the details while I press on with the work He’s given me to do until He says stop.”

And just a note; while all this was going on, Bonnie and I were packing up our house after selling it in May, just a couple weeks after we returned home from Toronto. With “City Hall” issues keeping us from having our new house built, we packed up a lot of our things and put them into a storage container and took the rest with us to our new home. We’re renting out the Peter’s basement apartment and are so very thankful that Ron and Elsie are putting up with us until we are in our own house sometime next summer; Lord willing.

But enough about me, I only update you on all of this because many are asking. Moving on, let me tell you what I believe God is up to with His Church Family here in Murillo.

To be honest, I really don’t know what He’s up to. In fact, I was thinking through all that He had been doing in our life and in the life of the Church, and also personally in some of your lives. Thoughts were going through my mind while looking out our condo window in Toronto, thinking about all the people outside going about their business on Yonge and Gerrard, when, all of a sudden, out loud, I said; “God, what are you up to?”

I supposed He’s doing what He’s always done through the centuries; working in and through our lives to conform us more and more into the likeness of His Son. I know I’ve seen some of it in mine and Bonnie’s life, and of course in many of your lives throughout the years.

But, I also know that’s what He’s doing because that’s what His Word tells me He’s doing. So in some ways, yes, I do see that, and in another way I have to say I want to see more and know I will because that’s His promise to us.

In thinking that I want to see more, I have to be honest and say that that’s what I wrestled with Him over during the first part of my “Vision Week” this fall; that time that I remove myself from everything and seek His will and direction for His Church. And what He showed me is that it is His Church and He will build it. He will build it, not me; my concern is to faithfully follow Him.

So, that leads to the future and what I came away with from that short time away. It was that I need to set aside a large chunk of my study times to really learn what His Church is, and then, in the New Year, preach a series on the doctrine of the Church; what His Word says, and teaches, about what the Church really is and how we should view life in the Church. So I look forward to preparing for that, but at the same time, I approach the topic with much fear (of God) and trepidation, knowing that I am in no way an expert on the subject and often make mistakes as I attempt to lead us on as your Pastor.

With that said, in the New Year, I look forward to seeing how God will be glorified and work through Bonnie and I as we take another journey with significant health issues. I look forward to leading this little church family as its Pastor. I also look forward to learning and experiencing more of what we as a Church family should look like as we come together to worship, fellowship, and build and strengthen our relationships as we seek to reach the world with Christ’s love.

Bonnie and I are looking forward to being held and strengthened, right along with all of you, by our Great God and Saviour in 2018.

Always in His Grip,


Pastor Anthony