Pastor's Year End Report 2019


“Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.” Romans 12:12-13

Seems I hear it a lot lately; “time flies”. And of course, it’s coming from those who have been around a while, which, I believe is a gracious gift from our great God and heavenly Father to help us wait well. He, of course, knows the plans He has for each one of us, and this past year, it seems His plans include allowing many in our little congregation to experience things in life that, well, if we’re honest, we would profess them to be really, really, hard. But wait we must.

A lot of the talk around our sick house is about waiting patiently. I run into a lot of people in my own extended family that ask; “why is it taking so long for this test or that procedure, or that major surgery?” And I always ask; “what exactly is long?” I’ve never waited like Abraham and Sarah for a child; we only waited till we were 30, not 100. I’ve never waited for decades like Joseph to be put into leadership; it was only 5 years after I felt the call on my life to pastor. I’ve never come close to the patience of Job in any of my maladies.

From kids waiting for their birthday or Christmas, to adults waiting for whatever it is we might be waiting for that we think we will never be able to wait for, we often wait, as one author put it; “because of our sin disease, we wait with a ‘dis-ease’.”  But, while we wait, we need to remember that something is actually happening, while nothing is seemingly happening. God uses waiting to change us.

Over the past year, my intention was to take us through the Beatitudes from the Sermon on The Mount. I was looking ahead even before I started that series to what would be coming after that. I had untold numbers of thoughts, and, mountains of notes. But, as I came to the place that I would be wrapping up the Beatitudes, I was struck by the fact that there was so much more in that first sermon Jesus preached that there was no way that I could end it there; I had to carry on to the end of the sermon. And lo and behold, it’s the dawn of the New Year and we’re not finished it yet!

We’ve spent a whole year looking at Jesus’ description of a kingdom citizen; how one enters the kingdom, and how one lives out their life in, and for, God’s kingdom. And, boy, how it has affected me as I wait to be finished.

As a pastor, I tend to focus on equipping you as our congregation to live life trusting God with what He’s doing, and, inviting others to follow Jesus and join us in His kingdom. We have seen new people connect with us and, engage in our worship services, and begin to serve. I look back with gratitude on God’s kindness in what He’s accomplished through many of you.

We never know what God will bring into our lives in the New Year, some will hope it’s a little less “exciting” and some will discover different things they will wait for. But, “this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: 22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:21-23) The same God who spoke the entire universe into existence, is the same big, gracious, and merciful God that we call our Father; and He is good, and He is faithful.

Along with the Pastor equipping the church, I’m so thankful for all of you who are encouraging and equipping one another; spurring one another on to love and good deeds.

I want to especially thank all those who are ministering to our children. We know how important it is to saturate them with the Word of God so that they will grow to love Him with all of their heart, soul, mind, and strength, and, follow the example of those who are serving them, so that one day they will also serve their God, and one another, with “joy inexpressible and full of glory.”

I’m very excited about 2020. My prayer is that God will continue to challenge us, grow our faith, and shape us into His people by whatever means He deems right and good. My personal vision for 2020 is lead well, teach well, and care for His people well.

Leading well in 2020 means being intentional about how I support every member of our leadership team, from the deacons, to the Official Board, to our Ministry Leaders, to everyone that volunteers, so that they have what they need to meet the needs of our Church Family.

Teaching well means that I know that I’m always going to be learning, always challenging myself in knowledge of Scripture, devoting myself to prayer over my messages, and getting necessary mentoring so that I can always improve in this important task of preaching. It also means listening well. Listening as we pray together, listening to our Leaders so that they can fulfill their roles here at CBC, and listening to God to grow our understanding of His Word.

Of course, listening well will also help me to care well for all of you, our family. Our church has many who are dealing with significant struggles, health problems, family trials, and spiritual needs. My commitment to you is to always uphold you in prayer, to walk with, and support you, on your spiritual journey, and to be there as one who listens well.

2019 seems to have been a fairly smooth year for me health-wise. And as I’m feeling quite well, my commitment is that I will also care for myself well. I will devote myself to God’s Word and growing in my personal relationship with God. It also means that I will focus on some simple, yet important things, like; taking time for myself and my family, and using my time well, so that I am not burning out and compromising my health when you are in need of support. I will also be holding your Deacons to a commitment to spiritually care for you and support you in your walk, encouraging them to live their faith publically and to model what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

I believe that God that this will be an exciting place for all those seeking to lift up the Name of Jesus as we join our voices together for the cause of God’s kingdom, for His glory. As your pastor, God willing, and by His amazing grace, I will lead well, teach well and care for you well, so that together, we can accomplish all that He lays before us in 2020. Thank you for your faithfulness in praying for Bonnie and I this year, thank you for your presence in church on Sundays, and thank you for being part of our life together here.

“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:20